Dr. Greg Wells Podcast #87: My interview on the "My Instruction Manual Podcast"
Published on December, 12th 2017
By Greg Wells
Today I share my interview on the My Instruction Manual Podcast where I talk about the connection between sleep, nutrition, exercise and the human mind.
Here’s what we talk about:
How my trip to the cardiac ward changed my life [2:24}
What is the ripple effect? [4:44]
1% gains [9:28]
Sleep – why it’s important and how to do it better [14:46]
Eating well as a tool for success [18:29]
Why we can’t trust food guides [22:45]
Nutrient-dense vs. energy-dense foods [25:45]
Why it’s better to exercise outside than at the gym [26:48]
Muscular meditation [27:35]
Eustress vs. distress [31:20]
Websites and books mentioned:
- Harvard Medical School Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid
- Precision Nutrition
- Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman
- Blue Mind by Wallace J Nichols
- Peak Performance by Brad Stulberg and Steve Magness
GREG WELLS’ INSTRUCTION MANUAL
1. What are the habits you maintain every day to stay happy and healthy?
- Exercise every single day for at least 30 minutes
2. What personal development book do you recommend?
- The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
- “that’s one that I’ve gone through pretty repeatedly throughout my life”
- The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin S. Sharma
- “another general mindset book that’s made a big difference in my adult life.”
3. Do you have a personal mantra?
- Anything is possible
4. What’s your one guilty pleasure?
- A really good espresso in the morning
5. When your time comes, how do you want to be remembered?
- “What I would love to have happen is to go out being content with the impact that I have had in the world, the way that I’ve lived my life, but more importantly surrounded by my wife and children and family and friends and for them not to be sad.”
- References Gord Downie, the lead singer of The Tragically Hip
Enjoy the conversation!
If you found this information interesting and helpful please consider signing up for our monthly newsletter with health and performance tips, articles, videos and other insights.
Also please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes!